Anclote Historical Photo Galleries
Beginning in the early 1500s, Spanish conquistadors first happened upon the Anclote River. At its mouth was a freshwater spring just 25 feet from the beach. The “Spanish Well” became a popular resource for sailors and possibly pirates. Legend has it that pirates attacked European ships in the Gulf then buried their treasure on Anclote Island.
In 1861, Samuel Hope of Brooksville bought most of the land along the Anclote River, bringing his large family there to settle in 1878. Also buying land from Hope in 1867 were the Meyer, Harrison and Cobb families of Marion County. They planted an orange grove and along with wealthy English and French families established the town of Anclote, which is split between Pasco and Pinellas counties.
Michael Knowles Jr. (1895-1944) and Melvina (Vinnie) Hicks. Photo, from 1912, courtesy of Brenda Knowles.
Capt. Samuel E. Hope (1833-1919) began his career as a surveyor in 1858. In 1860, he married Mary Henrietta Hooker, the daughter of prominent Florida pioneer William Brinton Hooker. Hope served in the Civil War. In 1864, he was elected to the Florida Legislature. He moved to Anclote in 1878 and lived there until 1905 when he moved to Tarpon Springs.
We have found two descriptions for this photo. One is: "Sponge market at Bailey’s Bluff, where divine services were held on Sunday.” The other is: “Sunday preaching at Bailey’s Bluff about 1900.”
Green Meyer came with his parents to Anclote when he was a small boy. He served in the Spanish-American War and donated the land for the Anclote cemetery. He later served as the postmaster of Anclote.
This business was located on Bailey's Bluff Road. Pictured are Albert Tacey and Devere Van Ochten. This photo, from the early 1960s, was provided by Sonny Van Ochten.
This photo, showing a scene at Bailey's Bluff, is taken from "The Sponge Fishery of Florida in 1900" by John N. Cobb. Report of the Commissioner for the Year Ending June 30, 1902.